Spring 2010 HackLab
Oxford, 10-11 April 2010
Taking place at the OARC on the 10th and 11th April, this is a working hacklab for a book sprint on the Hacktivista book and also for planning for the summer Tech Tools for Activists Camp. If you're interested in coming please add your name here and for questions, get in touch via our mailing list.
Spring 2010 HackLab Agenda
- 09.00 - 10.00: Breakfast
- 10.00 - 10.30: Welcome, planning
- 10.30 - 13.00: Tech tools for Activists book sprint.
- 13.00 - 14.00: Lunch
- 14.00 - 18.00: Book sprint continued.
- 10.00 - 11.00: Brunch
- 11.00 - 13.00: Planning for Summer HackCamp.
- 13.00 - 14.30: Other stuff....
Agenda points and proposals
Perhaps two parallel workstreams on the day?
- Content finishing group
- Design, format & publishing group
Back cover - advert for summer HL
We ought to discuss financing of the book, how to do it, whether to charge for it, how much and sources of funding (e.g. APE) to pay for it.
- Finalise date (https://labs.riseup.net/decider/issue/view/eeshaephiemekahwoogo)
- Define target audience / attendees
- No kids?
- Maximum numbers?
- How will people register to attend? Deadline so we can get right amounts of food?
- Make a list of electronic & in-person ways to reach these people, including where to distribute the book
- What is the overall cost estimate?
- How much will it cost per person, how can we pay for it up front?
- Do we want to raise money for the project? For example: to pay for the booklet?
- Make lists of what content we think should be delivered at the event and by whom
- Overview of different communication channels
- Communicating securely
- Producing & disseminating information
- The politics of information - free software, creative commons, DIY ethic etc.
- How to get involved in tech projects
- Any parallel sessions?
- Have one or two spare sessions planned in case of non-attendance / critical tech failures
- Crew roles & volunteer coordinators - including sharing of these skills:
- Meeter / greeter
- Bar coordinator
- Toilet / handwash / waste-dipsosal / hygiene enabler
- Meals coordinator
- Pyro's & campfire wizard
- Advanced coffee technician
- Overall curator / facilitator / timekeeper / banger of gong in the camping field?
- Entertainment coordinator
- Artist-in-residence to make video/photos/audio report of what goes on
- Data network coordinator
- Power engineer (12v & 240v - remember last time we kept losing our supply & having to reboot stuff?)
- Feedback gatherer & analyst
- People to gather up minutes and training materials to put on the wiki afterwards
- Set-up and tat-down volunteer coordinator
- Bat-phone rota
Please refer to Minutes of Spring HacktionLab 2010.